The Universe Is Smiling: Art Reflections

Monika's weekly inner voice drawings:

Asking my usual question, "what is today's wisdom?' I was surprised to see this rather strange creature evolve, cradling his art installation. This must be the effect of going to two art events in New Jersey over the weekend. Time to reflect about art .... with a smile, of course :)
 
"You can have the idea in one 'room' of your mind, and you can watch the figure develop in the 'room' between your hands."
- James Kay
"Every creator painfully experiences the chasm between his inner vision and its ultimate expression."
- Isaac Bashevis Singer
 

2 comments:

  1. I have a different take on this one than your other villagers, though I think Barbara may have alluded to it. I think this chicken is…well…chicken and is hiding behind his armor. It may be waxing an Edenic tale of shame, a self-consciousness that comes with human awareness. The tale is one of exposure and vulnerability: that I may fail; that I may succeed. To embellish on this allegorical tale, that tree is perhaps the tree of knowledge this chicken hides behind and uses as an armor. That vertical Eye of Horus has a tarot-like flavor for me. The eye sees all but the eye also deceives and distorts all! Where mind goes, there goes eye (I)! So, this tree of knowledge (language)– which sounds lofty—can serve or betray. If it serves, the chicken will step out with his new understanding and use that knowledge to purify all negative afflictive emotions. If the tree betrays, the chicken will stay behind it, malinger for the rest of his days, and lay a big egg.

    The moral: To step out from our fear is to create life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is definitely shyness/shame in the "chicken" .... chickening out by hiding behind his art installation and therefore not being available to the inquiring crowd at the opening reception :) I think the artist (chicken) himself was puzzled by the eye of Horus: "What is the eye looking at? Is it seeing me? How can I hide from being seen?" ... and yes, the answer to that squeeze may be - laying an egg :)

    ReplyDelete